29 Mar What We Are Doing in the Fight Against COVID-19
COVID-19 has had and will continue to have, a devastating effect on the world. At Haller we are doing all we can to educate and prepare our communities during this time.
The world’s most deprived and vulnerable people will be hardest hit by this global crisis. If you don’t have access to water, how can you wash your hands regularly? If you live in one room with the rest of your family, how can you self-isolate?
There is a huge lack of understanding of the disease and limited sanitation, poor nutrition, inadequate medical coverage and poor infrastructure, increases the severity of the challenge. We are delighted to have had a great response from our appeal for donations, especially from one of our Foundations, which will help us combat Coronavirus across our communities by addressing some of these issues.
The funding will enable us to:
* Educate communities on the disease itself and how best to safeguard their community, along with the lifestyle changes that will need to be implemented
* Source masks, provide disinfectant and Haller handwash we have produced and introduce hand-washing stations, which can be easily and freely constructed
* Provide testing kits (if possible)
* Provide free medication to help treat symptoms of the virus
* Provide a Tuk-Tuk to get community members to a local hospital for emergency treatment
* Distribute seeds to all farmers across our 50 communities and encourage them to plant every available plot of land, as there will be significant pressure on food sources
* Ensure our Farmer Trainers are fully versed in COVID-19 protection techniques
* Install 8 new 5000 litre water tanks and 8 water pumps in communities in order to reduce congestion at wells
We will be taking advice from the government on where and how we work, and have taken action to protect our staff to keep them safe and well, whilst continuing to provide access to food and healthcare.
The impact of Coronavirus is going to change the world as we know it for some time. We must all work together to do what we can to fight it.
From all at Haller, please stay safe.